- Omega-3 Deficient Teenagers May Grow Into Anxious Adults
- Why Taking A Daily Dose of Omega 3 Is Vital For Over-50’s
- Six Essential Nutrients To Improve Your Eye Health
- Combining Turmeric and Omega 3 Fat May Prevent Diabetes
- Study: Omega-3 can dramatically reduce risk of macular degeneration
- Is a little molecule to blame for our poor health?
Understanding Your Thyroid Health
Areyou slowing down or speeding up?
Do you wake up tired, feel moody, cold and put on weight easily? Or do you feel irritable, hyperactive, hot and lose weight easily? Most people blame their metabolism and the clinical answer may rest in the function of a gland in the neck, known as the thyroid.
Thyroxine is a hormone produced by the thyroid, An underactive or overactive thyroid can release too much or too little thyroxine respectively, causing hormonal imbalances in the body. Thyroxine levels regulate our metabolic rate, heart rate, body temperature, muscle tone and affect nearly every tissue in the body.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Hyperthyroidism – High levels of thyroid hormones
- Weight loss with increased appetite
- Sweating and palpitations
- Heart failure and muscle weakness
- Irregular periods and infertility in women
- Hyperactivity, nervousnes and irritability
- Vomiting or diarrhoea
- Goitre (swollen throat) and difficulty swallowing
Hypothyroidism – Low levels of thyroid hormones
- Weight gain
- Cold hands and feet
- Weak muscles, sluggish movements
- Painful periods
- Physical and mental lethargy or depression
- Constipation or indigestion
- Goitre- enlargement of thyroid gland
THE TRUE CAUSE OF THYROID DYSFUNCTION
Symptoms may be mild and develop slowly and can progress, undetected for many years. Contributory causes include inflammation, auto-immune attack, genetic factors, tumours, stress or certain drugs.
Foods to eat and foods to avoid to support your thyroid:
Avoid – High-sugar diet – sugary fruits, sugary foods, and starchy carbs.
Include – Seafood and seaweed – for iodine, the most important mineral required to make thyroxine.
Include – Brazil nuts for the mineral selenium, to activate thyroxine.
Two nutrients can restore thyroid health:
- 1. Iodine: Supports healthy growth in children and regulates cognitive function, metabolism, nervous system function, thyroid hormone production, and thyroid health.
- 2. Selenium: Is a trace mineral that is essential to the body, which we must obtain from the diet. However, depleted soil levels in the UK equate to deficient food sources and supplements are the only effective way to support selenium intake. Selenium aids in healthy immune and thyroid function and protects cells against damage from oxidative stress.
Taking iodine and selenium supplements can restore thyroid health. Not only will this improve thyroid function, but it can enhance detoxification, metabolism, daily energy, cardiovascular health, immune system function, and reproductive health. Iodine is also anti- parasitic, antiviral, and antibacterial.
If you suffer from dry skin, dry eyes, poor digestion, cysts in the breasts or ovaries, or poor motor development, a daily iodine supplement is the best choice for you. Please note that iodine requires selenium in a supplement or food source to activate it.
Nascent Iodine is recognised by the body as the same iodine that is recognised by the thyroid and is absorbed effortlessly by the body. One drop = 400mcg of iodine. Usage depends upon the desired effect.
Frequent small doses are more effective than larger amounts at less frequent intervals. Nascent Iodine is the best form of iodine supplementation.
A unique combination of ingredients to help maintain the function of the immune system, including: Epicor, Selenium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc, Dimethylglycine, Elderberry Fruit Extract, Beta Glucans and Larch Arabinogalactan.