- Omega-3 Deficient Teenagers May Grow Into Anxious Adults
- Why Taking A Daily Dose of Omega 3 Is Vital For Over-50’s
- Six Essential Nutrients To Improve Your Eye Health
- Combining Turmeric and Omega 3 Fat May Prevent Diabetes
- Study: Omega-3 can dramatically reduce risk of macular degeneration
- Is a little molecule to blame for our poor health?
Six Essential Nutrients To Improve Your Eye Health
The eyes are the window to our soul and we use them for so much on a daily basis; watching where we’re going, personal facial expressions, making friends to communicating our emotions with others – even attracting a mate.
As eyesight is integral to our health and wellbeing, it therefore makes sense that we should focus on maintaining and finding out how to improve the health of our eyes by taking the right nutrients for best absorption.
Herbs are plants used for foods, flavorings, medicines or in perfumes. As herbs have traditionally been used for culinary, medicinal or spiritual purposes it makes sense that they have a wide range of benefits and support for eye health…
1) Eyebright or Euphrasia as its name suggests is powerful at preserving eyesight. It was traditionally used topically for treatment of eye infections and is often used in homeopathy for conjunctivitis and inflammation of the ocular. It has been used in European folk medicine for blepharitis and managing eye fatigue. Studies suggest it can soothe itchy and red eyes. Eyebright can be found in the Bio EyeEase™ herbal formulation.
2) Omega 3’s are essential fatty acids with anti-inflammatory properties that can support and maintain cell membranes, protecting the retina from any oxidative damage. By taking high levels of fish or fish oils containing EPA and DHA this can reduce the risk of macular degeneration and studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids can even reduce the symptoms of dry eye syndrome. Omega 3’s can be found in the Krill Miracle or Hemp Seed Oil.
3) Gingko Biloba has been found to improve vision in certain glaucoma cases and it works as a selective vascular dilator to increase circulation, improving blood flow into the back of the eye. Gingko has long been associated with improving macular degeneration too and Korean researchers found in a 2012 study that gingko biloba extracts improved vision in 332 subjects with normal tension glaucoma. Gingko Biloba can be found in MaxiFocus™.
4) Milk Thistle or Carduus marianus supports eye health and its active ingredient is silymarin that is also excellent for liver health . Liver and eye health are directly correlated as the liver stores fat-soluble vitamins and glutathione, both of which are used for repairing the eyes. According to research, milk thistle can inhibit a compound known as reductase and this plays an integral part in depositing sugar in the eyes in people suffering from diabetes. Milk thistle can boost the health of your eyes and liver and is found in ReVision Formula™.
5) Turmeric has various anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties that can benefit eye health. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin and this has powerful antioxidant properties that can fight off free radical damage and reduce the oxidation of the eye lens. This can help with relieving dry eye syndrome amongst other conditions. Curcumin can be found in Curcuminx4000™.
6) Bilberry is efficient for improving eyesight, particularly night vision. Bilberry contains tannins, chemicals that can help with inflammation and irritation in the body. Researchers think that flavonoids in bilberries can improve circulation in people with diabetes and this has an impact on the retina of the eye. Research also shows that anthocyanosides in bilberry can boost pigment production in the eyes and these antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds are beneficial for various types of eye disorders including retinopathy, reducing inflammation and macular degeneration. Bilberry provides 10x the antioxidant power of Vitamin C, 50 times that of Vitamin E. Bilberry Extract can be found in our MaxiFocus™ sublingual spray, ReVision Herbal Formula™ and VisionTone™ Herbal Formula.