1. They produce more polluting greenhouse gases than all of the cars, truck and aircraft in the world. (Livestock are responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse-gas emissions as measured by 9 percent of all CO2 emissions, 37 percent of methane, and 65 percent of nitrous oxide. Altogether, that’s more than the emissions caused by transportation and The July 2005 issue of Physics World states: “The animals we eat emit 21 percent of all the CO2 that can be attributed to human activity”).
2. Their animal waste is polluting rivers and seas killing fish and other sea life and creating ‘Wet-Deserts™’ (21,000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico (Larger than the BP spill) is dead from US farm run off and 1995 New River hog waste spill in North Carolina poured 25 million gallons of excrement and urine into the water, killing an estimated 10 to 14 million fish and closing 364,000 acres of coastal shell-fishing beds. Hog waste spills have caused the rapid spread of a virulent microbe called Pfiesteria piscicida, which has killed a billion fish in North Carolina alone). P.S: Not forgetting over-fishing by factory ships as well).
3. They are Destroying the Rainforest, the loss of trees is a major cause of the increase in carbon dioxide (for grazing pasture and animals feed, 70 percent of the grains and cereals we grow go to farmed animals and 50% of all of the trees cut down was for cattle raising).
4. They are Polluting the soil and air (Farmed animals produce about 130 times as much excrement as the entire human population of the United States).
5. They are Creating Water Shortages and Rivers are disappearing (it takes nearly 1000 pints of water to make 1 pint of milk and up to 2500gall for 1lb of meat).
6. They are destroying good farmland (Meat production has also been linked to severe erosion of billions of acres of once-productive farmland).
7. They are linked to Death and Disease in humans (researchers, link factory farmed dairy and meat consumption to a high incidence of heart disease, hypertension, e-coli, BSE, CJD, and breast, colon and other cancers.
8. They are Stealing our food (The world’s cattle alone consume a quantity of food equal to the caloric needs of 8.7 billion people – which is more than the entire human population on earth).
9. They are the main cause of Deserts from deforestation (Goats and sheep started it over 2000-years ago and it is not stopped since with huge tree cutting in the past 50 years.
10. It is getting worse (As prosperity increased around the world in recent decades, the number of people eating meat (and the amount one eats every year) has risen steadily. Between 1970 and 2002, annual per capita meat consumption in developing countries rose from 11 kilograms (24 lbs.) to 29 kilograms (64 lbs.) (In developed countries, the comparable figures were 65 kilos and 80 kilos.) As population increased, total meat consumption in the developing world grew nearly five-fold over that period).
P.S: They consume 30% of all of the precious fossil fuels.
Even if Man was not here to make matter worse by farming them they would as they did in the great prairies in the USA, stop trees re-growing after great forest fires and multiply practically unhindered.
COWS: The Most Dangerous Animal on the Planet? | www.naturallyhealthynews.com