Vegan friendly and gluten-free, this tasty soup makes for a healthy lunch option.
- 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil (extra)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 carrots (medium sliced)
- 3 celery stalks (medium sliced)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes (organic is best)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 20 grape tomatoes (sliced in half, length wise)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (or dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped, or dried)
- Sea salt
Step 1: Soak Garbanzo Beans in cool water overnight.
Step 2: Rinse beans & discard water. Place 2 cups of water in a large pot, bring to a boil and add the garbanzo beans. Reduce heat to a slow boil for 45 mins, making sure they are always covered with water.
Step 3: Rinse garbanzo beans under cold water until cool.
Step 4: Spread on a baking sheet and remove skins.
Step 5: Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté onion for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery and fennel seed. Cook for approximately 4 minutes.
Step 6: Stir in diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and vegetable broth and, gently boil for approximately 15 minutes. Add grape tomatoes and spinach. Continue cooking for approximately 2 minutes.
Step 7: Season with oregano, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, stir well, remove from heat, place lid on pot, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Sodium: 980mg – 41% DV
Fat: 5g – 8% DV
Protein: 13g – 25% DV
Carbs: 55g – 18% DV
Fiber: 14g – 56% DV
Recipe Credit Source: