- Omega-3 Deficient Teenagers May Grow Into Anxious Adults
- Why Taking A Daily Dose of Omega 3 Is Vital For Over-50’s
- Six Essential Nutrients To Improve Your Eye Health
- Combining Turmeric and Omega 3 Fat May Prevent Diabetes
- Study: Omega-3 can dramatically reduce risk of macular degeneration
- Is a little molecule to blame for our poor health?
Week 18 (2019) – Fat Does Not Kill You
Health News (Week 18 – 2019)
By Robert Redfern
This is an updated article I produced about 5 years ago. I was reminded of it recently by various experts in the news reporting on the increase of the obesity epidemic in children. They say that some people are getting fatter mainly because of overeating. They also say that being obese (FAT) is a leading cause of death. As usual, I say these experts are wrong. The cause of obesity, most diseases and premature deaths is malnutrition from eating mainly carbohydrates and food and drinks high in sugar – even if you got fat (or stayed thin).
Add in a lack of critical nutrients and poor lifestyle and we have the problem I outline below.
You may have thought that malnutrition is just something that’s happening to people who live in poverty-stricken third world countries. Malnutrition is here in the most advanced Western nations and afflicts youngsters all the way up to seniors. It even affects people living in long-term care facilities where you would expect they would be carefully and scientifically nutritionally cared for.
There are three malnutrition problems with food:
- Factory farmed, delivers ‘processed to death’ foods so there is very little nutrition left.
- Fresh food and even organic foods are always lacking in essential nutrients since the required amount is no longer in the soil. This results in food that isn’t nearly as nutritious as it was in the early part of the 20th century (some critical nutrients such as magnesium are down by up to 80%). Many studies have shown that much of our soil became stripped of minerals and nutrients.
- Artificial fertilizers, genetic modification (GM) and the rise of contamination from pesticides and herbicides all combine to make foods unhealthy.
This increasing problem has put everyone including the young, old, and particularly the fertility of parents at risk through malnutrition. Infertility is an epidemic and those who follow the plan in my fertility book are a testimony to the success if the lifestyle changes that I suggest are followed. The health risk is especially serious in seniors whose needs increase for super nutritional foods with every passing year, particularly after age 50.
Malnutrition for seniors must be taken seriously. It can:
- Cause the immune system to become weak
- Cause muscle wasting
- Cause the recovery time of illnesses and infections to lengthen
- Cause feebleness, mobility problems, and set seniors up for falls that can be difficult to recover from
- Cause an increase in the risk of being admitted to the hospital
- Worse still, leave seniors in expensive care homes that simply don’t care
These problems are not caused by getting older. They are caused by malnutrition and inactivity. This obviously interferes not only with your health but also with your quality of life.
No one wants to spend retirement being weak, frail, and sickly but now many need to carry on working and, like me, they cannot afford to stop.
The good news is that the correct supplements can help boost nutrition and if combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle, they can actually help to slow the ageing process and restore good health.
There have been multiple studies over the years and in fact, according to a recent study published in the journal Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, “Supplements improved the ability of those who are malnourished or frail to function and help them live longer.”
When doctors deal with malnutrition in their older patients, they usually recommend junk supplement beverages like Ensure or Boost. I shudder just thinking about the labels and how these drinks give supplements a bad name. They’re simply providing some extra calories, mostly in the form of sugar to make people fatter, along with a smattering of vitamins in tiny doses.
It’s far better to treat, or, better yet, prevent malnutrition by following a really healthy plan. And research shows that as you age you’re at increased risk for a few nutrient deficiencies in particular. You can solve this starting now with my Really Healthy Plan.
- Ageing – As we age our body and immune system needs more loving tender care to keep it strong.
- Sugar – Cut out any sugar by cutting out bread, cookies, biscuits, breakfast cereals, rice, potatoes, parsnips and high sugar fruits.
- Grains and Cereals – Leave them out.
- Lack of Exercise – Walking 3-5 miles every day or the equivalent mix of walking and exercise is essential to oxygenating your body and brain. Oxygen is critical for a healthy body and brain. Sedentary people who consume a high sugar diet are at greater risk of lower limb amputation. We cannot live for more than a few minutes without oxygen, and it is almost impossible to breathe efficiently in a sitting position. Laying down is better than sitting. Walking is the best.
- Lack of Critical Minerals – Minerals are critical for the body and immune system to work effectively. Magnesium, Selenium, Iodine and ActiveLife are the critical minerals and others are essential to support a healthy immune system. If you also have an existing health problem then download my books and follow the plan.
- Drinking Water – Almost everyone is not drinking the correct amount of water. Your blood will become unhealthy without this critical nutrient and you cannot live for more than 7 days without water.
- Real Foods – Real food is vegetables (greens), dark-skinned fruits, seeds and fats from oily fish and other seafoods.
Does this seem a lot to do to avoid an unhealthy old age? It is simply how you need to be living your life to enjoy a healthy future. Not only to avoid disease but to stay active and independent. Avoiding becoming a burden on family and society is the most fulfilling thing you can experience and it is all possible by following my plan above.